Sunday, March 23, 2014

Taboulish

I’m part of a potluck dinner group.  We meet just a little bit more than once a month.  I know what you’re thinking – “Luanne is the luckiest girl in the world. A little more than once a month, she has the potential of going to a dinner where every dish could conceivably be chocolate cake!”  (Probable vs. possible.  It is always nice to dream.) 

But these aren’t the kind of potluck dinners where that possibility might be realized.  They are themed.  And that makes them tricky for a meat-and-potatoes former-farm-gal like me.  I can’t speak for everyone in the group, but I can say that they have opened up a lot of different foods for me. 

Today’s theme was “Middle Eastern.”  That’s a big theme!  There is a Lebanese bakery /restaurant on north Main Street, and it has the prettiest “green salad.”  And it was tasty.  I was surprised to learn that it was Tabouleh.  (I had something entirely different in my mind.) 

The thing about dishes that are completely new to your repertoire – the grocery shopping doesn’t always go as planned. And you don’t always know what to substitute. And you don’t always know if your substitutions taste authentic.  And so – this is what I came up with.  I can’t imagine that a purist would call it Tabouleh.  And so I’m calling this Taboulish.  And its yummy!

Taboulish:
1/2 grapefruit zest
1/8 c lime juice
1/8 c grapefruit juice
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4  tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt

2 bunches parsley
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
 
Whisk the grapefruit zest, juice, lemon juice, olive oil, black pepper and salt together in a small bowl

Wash the parsley, remove all stems, grab a handful and roll it up and slice the roll as thinly as possible. Chop the parsley in the opposite direction to the direction sliced previously. 

Add the parsley to a large bowl along with zucchini and tomatoes. Add the dressing and toss together.
 
Enjoy!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home