Thursday, September 18, 2014

Chili Con Carne and Cornbread

Autumn has arrived. Chili season begins now.

The Chili:  I have made chili from memory for as long as I can remember. At one point, one of my brothers and I ran a canteen at the local skating rink. My main job was the chili making. And I used to like it. Over the years, the chili has become more and more spicy. I have also liked it less and less. So... I figured I’d try it one last time. And I cut back the spicy by 2/3.  Sonofagun, if that didn’t become a tasty dish! It could use just a smidge more, but at least there is a new starting point.
The Cornbread:  Lots of goings on at Club Lupy these days – one of which is experimenting with different selections from the cereal/bread food group.  So... I looked up a flourless cornbread recipe.  It was so disappointing on the first day that the idea of publishing the recipe on the blog was aborted. But over the course of the week I have had it a few times, and... it really has potential.  Something went wrong, and it seems like someone poured corn-sand in the middle.  BUT... the rest of it is almost perfect! If you have any suggestions on how to fix my sand-in-the-cornbread quandary, it would be most appreciated.  I think the recipe is a good enough start to use as a starting point.

Update 1/24/2015: The addition of a third egg, and an extra step of soaking the cornmeal in milk for 10 minutes solved the "sand" issue. Yahoo! Thanks for the help!

Cornbread
1 ¾ cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 tbsp honey
2 cups milk
2 tsp melted butter (or bacon grease)

Preheat oven to 450º.  Grease a 10” cast iron skillet, 8x8 pan, or 10” pie plate.
 Combine 1 1/2 cups cornmeal, honey, and milk. Let soak 10 minutes.

In separate small bowl, mix 1/4 cup cornmeal, baking powder and salt.  Whisk with a fork to combine.

In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with fork.  Add cornmeal/milk mixture and melted butter.
Add in dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Let cool before cutting.

As a variation, add a finely chopped jalapeno pepper and sharp cheese.

 Chili Con Carne
600 grams lean ground beef (about 1 ½ lbs)
1 onion chopped finely – if you’re the onion using sort.
1 796 ml (28 oz) can stewed tomatoes (blend in a blender)
1 540 ml (19 oz) can red kidney beans - rinsed
1 ½ tbsp chili powder (I used 1 tbsp. It was almost enough.)
1 tsp salt

Brown ground beef. (And onions, if you’re using them.)  Puree the tomatoes in a blender or with an immersion blender.  Add to browned ground beef.  Add rinsed kidney beans, chili powder and salt. Simmer for 45 minutes, or until thickened.
Top with grated cheese.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At September 18, 2014 at 6:14 PM , Anonymous Sherry Moller said...

I love cornbread and have been looking for a recipe like this! thanks Lu.

 
At September 18, 2014 at 11:10 PM , Anonymous Judy Morningstar said...

What about another egg in there? Or some xanthan gum? I am going to try this for my GF grandson. I will let you know how it works out. Mind you, he doesn't talk yet, so the words he will use to describe it might not be English.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home