Sunday, November 16, 2014

Sharesies Chilli

Chili and a movie on a snowy Winnipeg afternoon.
Does it get better than that?
So – this whole blog gig – it’s more of a curiosity for me. First off, I needed a place to keep my recipes. I was saving everything to my favorites. (Crazy. I had pretty much the entire collection of internet recipes in my favorites.) And secondly, I was curious to see if it would make it past my own eyes. And sure enough, I’m surprised, and happy, to say that people have been looking at it, and occasionally trying some of the recipes. (Actually a few people have been making a lot of the recipes! Cool!)

There are about 5 really neat things that have happened with the blog. One of which, was a kid who I used to baby-sit – and enough time has passed that we’re pretty much the same age now. J (Weird how that happens.) Well – he’s been honing his cookery skills, and using some of the recipes to practise. And even cooler, he’s shared a recipe for me to try.
Thus, here is the first sharesies recipe post!



Sharesies Chilli
I tried out dried beans for this recipe.
Neato!
In a small pot prepare:


1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
Bring to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.

 
In a large pot, sauté:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small-medium onion (add at your own peril. I didn’t.)
3 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery, chopped fine

(I’ve started chopping up a stalk of celery wherever onions should go. I know I need to ditch the onions, but it doesn’t feel natural. So, the celery gives the same action, and probably time-frame, as the onion.)

Meanwhile, chop:
1 jalapeño pepper – pith and seeds removed

1 large peeled carrot
2 celery stalks

1 green pepper

1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper

1 medium zucchini

Add the chopped veggies to the sautéed garlic and celery.

Also add:

2 (19oz) 540 ml cans black beans

1 cup dried kidney beans, reconstituted (this worked out to probably 2 cans worth – way more than expected.)
2  796 ml cans diced tomatoes, processed with immersion blender

1 can tomato sauce
2-3 tablespoons chilli powder

1 tablespoon cumin

Let simmer for at least 1/2hr
Stir in Quinoa

Notes:
I forgot a can of corn. That’d have been tasty.

Add sour cream and cheese as desired. I’ve forgot to do this each time I’ve had it.
It takes a LOT of room in pots. I used 2 Dutch ovens to cook this.

I also put the quinoa in right at the very beginning. It didn’t seem to bother anything.
It didn’t actually need any salt.  Or broth. Huh!

You'll note this dish is both vegan and gluten free. Who knew you could eat so “free” and tasty at the same time?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home